Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Theme Thursday: Red Ribbon Week & Worcester Sauce


Although October has passed, Theme Thursday's weekly topic is "Ribbon," and I am reminded of the constant fight against drugs during Red Ribbon week and the rest of the year. An ongoing anti-drug program in the schools teaches grade schoolers not to do drugs. This educational program is highlighted by Red Ribbon Week where students and teachers proclaim themselves to be drug free through wearing red, painting their faces red, or launching red balloons.

Anti-drug education had been so strong in my daughter's school that, years ago, she had a fit when I put a bottle of Worchester sauce in my basket at the grocery story. Since the kids were taught that alcohol was a drug, as soon as I picked up the Lea Perrins, Erica screamed––at a store awakening level mind you, "Drugs! You have drugs!"

I tried in vain to explain that Worcester sauce does not constitute drugs. Even if the bottle had contained alcohol, I was, and am, certainly old enough to drink it. I couldn't convince Erica that is was okay for me to buy Worcester sauce no matter what I said.

17 comments:

Raivenne said...

Hahahaha! I can see the whole scene at the supermarket in my mind, it's a gem. Thanks for the grins!

Janine Huldie said...

Kids take everything so literally and am learning that each and everyday with my own two girls. Truly enjoyed this and could picture my own someday doing something like this.

Ann Jones said...

My son had drug education at school this year and went around telling my husband that he couldn't have wine at church anymore :) Kids are funny!

Binky said...

Worchester is a gateway sauce.

Leovi said...

Really the best fight against drugs is prevention.

Lady In Read said...

:) we sometimes have such dialogs with tiramisu..

Mrsupole said...

Oh that is too funny. I guess it does look like a bottle of wine, LOL. Did you ever take NyQuil and have her tell you that it has alcohol in it? I know people who have been told they should not take it because of the alcohol in it. I have never heard of this Red Ribbon thing. Although my girls might be too old for this program to have gone on when they were in school.

Anyway I thank you ever so much for making a humorous post about ribbons and for sharing it with us. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and stay off the sauce, ha ha.

God bless.

Sabz said...

thank you for linking up with Think Outside The Blog!! Glad to have you! New follower, follow back? :D

http://www.theeclecticgrabbag.com

Anonymous said...

HI! I am your newest follower and found you on the blog hop. I was kinda, maybe, sorta hopin' that you would hop on over to my blog and follow me back! :-)

xoxo-
Sarah
www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

Kris McCracken said...

Oh how I love Worchester. I shall use it only when sheathed in a brown paper bag from here on in...

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA! Wonderful post! Thanks for the laugh!

Unknown said...

Your blog made me smile. Kids can be so innocent at time its heartwarming.
All the Best with your little one.

Ameesh
http://farmerbyaccident.blogspot.in/

Unknown said...

Your Post made me smile... kids can be so innocent. it is heartwarming.
Good luck with your little one.
- Ameesh
http://farmerbyaccident.blogspot.in/

Catch My Words said...

Thanks for all the comments. Actually, my little one will turn twenty in January. :)

Rhonda @Laugh Quotes said...

Did you buy the Worcester in the end? Honestly, I didn't even know it had alcohol in it until now.

Unknown said...

LOL I bet you wanted to sink through the floor!!

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Mommy Evolution said...

Adorable story. Thanks for joining Friday Flash Blog. See you later this week!